Thursday 22 May 2014

Hair care routine for badly damaged and splitting hair & product review!

Hello!

So today I am going to be talking about taking care of badly damaged, split hair and products on the market that I have tried and tested to attempt to revert the damage that's been done! I explained in my Nourkrin review post the extent of the damaged state my hair was/still sort of is in!

I won't go into too much detail on this post but I have never bleached/dyed my hair so the reason my hair was/is badly damaged is due to the amount of back combing and heat tools I used on my hair WITHOUT heat protector (Yes, I know, but I am paying the price now!) My hair went from super long and healthy to mid length and all straggly at the bottom and the split ends were travelling up my hair fast!

My hair is now (thankfully) growing and is slowly on its road to recovery and that is purely down to strictly no back combing (unless I am going somewhere special), keeping to a routine and using a few different products to ensure my hair has MOISTURE as my hair was also so brittle and ready to break at any second!

 I'm now just going to run through my routine and mention some products which have helped my hair wonders!

Okay so Step 1: I make sure, like I just said, that I do not backcomb my hair unless its a special occasion! I also do not curl my hair (my hair is naturally straight so no need for straighteners!) To be honest... I don't do anything to my hair now. I literally plait my fringe in a french plait and then stick it up in a sort of scruffy bun and pull out bits to give it a bit of volume and height around my face!

So I guess that's Step 2: LEAVE your hair alone. Try not to brush it often as using brushes, damages your hair just as much as heat damage! On that note - STAY AWAY from heat products. I promise you, even with the best protector, if you are trying to regrow and repair damaged hair, heat tools will continue to do damage!

Step 3: Try not to wash your hair every single day...or every other day if you can! I know it sounds wrong but the longer you can leave the oils your scalp produces, the more nutrients it is getting. By washing your hair every single day, you are washing out these oils that are providing nutrients for hair growth! Also by washing your hair every single day your scalp over compensates for the oils you are getting rid of, therefore producing more oils which results in greasy hair! There are so many dry shampoos out on the market, my favourite being Batiste - Tropical!

Step 4: Turn your head upside down and give your scalp a massage. This helps circulation in the scalp which stimulates hair growth! Try and do this for about 60 seconds! TIP: It's very relaxing and provides an awesome volume boost when you flip your hair back!

Step 5: Treat yourself to an intensive hair mask and/or deep conditioning treatment once a week or twice depending on the state of your hair. The usual recommendations are once a week, but that was not enough for my dry, brittle hair. I highly recommend VO5's Give Me Moisture - Hot Oil Treatment or Nice'n Easy ColourSeal Gloss conditioner which you can buy separately from the box dyes for 99p! This is a great conditioner because it is obviously used on colour treated hair, which definitely needs moisture! I usually leave this on for about 20-30 minutes with a sandwich bag covering my hair to keep the moisture packed in! Yes, I might look silly but it does wonders for my hair!

Step 6: If you insist on blow drying your hair, try to minimise the amount of products you use on your hair, but letting your hair air dry is a much more better option!

Step 7: Okay so below I have taken a photo of my favourite products I use when my hair is wet AND when it is dry to ensure moisture is getting to my hair. Each night before I go to bed I completely soak the middle to end of my hair with one of these products and then I will either plait it or leave it down.

Product 1: Expert Collection by Pantene Pro-V Advanced Keratin Repair Split-End Fuser - £6.99
Product 2: Gliss Liquid Silk Gloss Hair Express-Repair Leave-in Conditioner - £1.99 from Savers
Product 3: Pantene Pro-V Repair & Protect Dry Oil with Vitamin E - £6.99 but I'm sure I got mine for £3.49 from Savers (or there abouts)
Product 4: Argan Oil Heat Defense Leave In Spray - £1 from Savers
Product 5: L'oreal Paris Elnett Satin Heat Protect Styling Spray for Volume - £5.99
Product 6: Inecto Heat Protecting Leave-in Conditioner - £1 from Savers





My hair has improved dramatically since I've been doing all the things mentioned in this post! Don't forget to drink as much water as you can and eat as healthy as you can to really give it a boost! Take care of your insides and it'll show on the outside! 

If you have any questions or comments, leave them down below or tweet me @chloesconcept!

Chloe x


1 comment:

  1. I'm really trying to grow my hair out healthy too! I'm really trying to cut down on heat products! Great post - I picked up a few more tips! :) x

    ReplyDelete