Thursday 3 July 2014

Top Tanning Product: Review & Guide!

If you're anything like me and you don't naturally tan easily and when you apply false tan; whether it be a gradual builder or instant, it just just looks orange, fake and patchy then you've come to the right place! I've got a review of a product that will work on any skin type and I am proof!

I have the most awkward skin. My skin is dry, extremely pale and I also have those little red bumps on the upper arm called Keratosis Pilaris (commonly called chicken skin) so whenever I apply any gradual or instant tan, it clings to them and makes an awful patchy, streaky look which just puts me off false tan altogether!

Now that we're in the "summer" season in the UK I thought I'd try a self-tanner I've been hearing great things about on YouTube! I didn't have high hopes because of my past experiences with false tan but it was relatively cheap so I thought I'd give it a go.


The product I'm talking about is something you might've heard of before...Cocoa Brown Tan by Marissa Carter.




Cocoa Brown Tan



Prior to application:


It says you have to exfoliate and moisturise each day for 3 days on the lead up to your application of this product. There are other products in this range that you can use to exfoliate and moisturise with but I didn't want to buy every product in case the tan turned out the same as other tanners and then I'd have wasted money. Also, because my skin can be quite sensitive, I didn't use an exfoliate product in case it irritated my skin, so I just used a regular shower cream and loofah.

Application Process:



  • On the day of application, shower first to get rid of any oils or products on your body so you're left with a blank canvas.
  • Then I applied a small amount of moisturiser (I don't think they advise it unless it's the Chocolate Whip product in the same range - but like I said, I didn't want to buy every product until I knew it would work for me) to areas with dry patches so elbows, kneecaps and hands. I only applied a small, very small amount just so it went on a bit smoother on the dry areas..Don't go overboard!
  • I then let that moisturiser dry in for 5 minutes.
  • Then I shook the can and applied about half a palm sized of mousse to the application mitt, which by the way is also made by Marissa Carter!
  • I applied the mousse in circular motions ensuring that I covered every area of wherever I was applying it...for example, when I'm applying it to my arm I look in the mirror to make sure I've applied it in the inside of my arm, round the back of the arm etc etc.,
  • It dries quite quick so the first time I applied it, I found I hadn't rubbed in a bit on my arm and it left a small line so the next time I applied it, I made sure I kept buffing it in quickly to avoid it happening again!


Once Applied:


  • Put on some baggy clothes.
  • This product is amazing at giving you the right colour you want! If you are pale like me, leave it on an hour and then rinse off in the shower. If you're a darker colour, you can leave it on for 2 or 3 hours!
  • When you're in the shower rinsing it off, you can use a shower gel/cream but do not exfoliate or scrub!
  • It says on the can that this tan lasts 5 to 7 days, so on roughly the 3rd/4th day, you can start exfoliating lightly again and moisturising as moisturising straight after your application will wear it off quicker.

This product also claims to have no fake tan scent and instead has a floral scent. On application, the floral scent came through and it was so nice compared to the usual vinegar-like scent that usually comes with fake tans! This product is that extra bit awesome because it doesn't stain clothes, bed sheets etc., as you are rinsing the tan off in the shower!

You can get this product from Superdrug, Feel Unique and even Primark for a very reasonable price of (approx) £6 and the tanning mitt for £3!



I really like this product as it leaves a very natural finish, little to no scent, doesn't stain clothes, lasts a great length of time and above all, it's extremely cheap! 

Each skin type is obviously different so I hope it works for you too!

Let me know if you've tried any tanning products that you love by commenting or tweeting me!

Thank you for reading!

Chloe x

No comments:

Post a Comment