Tuesday 26 August 2014

Teenage Self-Esteem and Low Confidence: An Interview With Nicole




Hi Nicole!

Thank you for participating in this interview post on low confidence and self-esteem. I know that this is something that impacts a lot of females and males at all ages so it is greatly important and something that isn't addressed enough.

Can you tell me a bit about yourself, Nicole?

Well I’m a teen beauty and lifestyle blogger from a little town in the High peak. My favourite things in the world are lipstick and lists.


What is your experience with low confidence and low self-esteem? Is it something you've always suffered from or was there something that triggered it off?

When I was 8 I had a really huge operation to build me a hip socket (as I was only born with half of one) and I spent 11 weeks confined to a hospital bed as both my legs were in a plaster cast with a 40cm metal bar in the middle. I piled on weight as I couldn’t move and was living of hospital food and as I got older the weight never seemed to shift as I had a lot of trouble still with my hip and spent a lot of the time in pain. I began to get more and more self conscious as I got older at one point when I was about 10 I weighed the same as I do now and I’m about a foot taller! I began to not only hate my body I began to hate myself for not being able to get rid of the weight! Even though I knew deep down that there was nothing I could do. My self confidence was at rock bottom and I hated my body. I still have a wobble every now and then but I am learning to love my body the way it is!


Suffering from low confidence and self-esteem can be exhausting and draining because you're constantly putting yourself down and comparing yourself to others. Do you agree and what is your view on low confidence and self-esteem?

I used to constantly ask myself why I wasn’t as pretty or as thin as all the other girls I didn’t understand that everyone is different and that I was just fine the way I was. It feels like you have someone in your ear all the time telling you that you’re not as good as everyone else and that you’re worthless. It’s soul destroying.

What do you hope will be the view of the media in the future as currently the media can be criticised for being quite narrow-minded in their opinion of what is considered “perfect”?

Not everyone has perfect boobs, a flat stomach and a peachy bum. In fact it would be a really boring world if we did. I wish the media would realise that the “flaws” they see are what makes you who you are. Like your funny shaped nose which was passed down from your great granddad who fought for our country or the colour of your hair which was passed down from your mum. These are the things that make us who we are and things we should love just like we loved the people that passed them down to us.


Do you feel that the media is doing enough to provide support to those who suffer from low confidence and self-esteem?

No the media are still using size 0 models and airbrushing photos to within an inch of their life. I think that until the media uses models of all shapes and sizes someone somewhere will feel down because they aren’t what the media considers as beautiful.


What do you do to boost your confidence and self-esteem when you are feeling low?

I love putting some music on and just letting myself forget about everything. I also love to go running as I find it clears my head but also makes me feel really good about myself!


What advice do you have to anyone who is battling with low confidence and self-esteem issues?

Don’t let people tell you that you aren’t beautiful. You are a collection of pieces from all the people that have come before you and if that doesn’t make you beautiful I don’t know what does. If you’re feeling low do something you love or spend some time with someone who you love and you will soon realise how many people think you are beautiful.


Thank you for your answers, Nicole and thank you for being so honest which I know will help a lot of readers who will be very appreciative of your words of wisdom and positivity! If you would like to visit Nicole's blog or follow her on Twitter, her links are below!

 Nicole's Links:
Twitter: @coleoftheball





Remember, one of the main reasons I started this blog was to provide a platform for people to come and feel safe knowing they have someone to talk to, so why not get in touch with me and we can discuss any problem you have or even if you just want to talk - that's fine too! Here's how you can contact me:


Get in touch with me: 


Twitter: @ChloesConcept

Email: ChloesConcept@gmail.com


Thanks for reading!

Chloe x




1 comment:

  1. What a lovely post, Nicole you have such a great attitude!
    Emily x

    ReplyDelete