Monday 13 October 2014

WHAT EVERYONE WANTS IN A BLOG POST: BOOST YOUR TRAFFIC


blog traffic


Everyone is definitely different so what you consider to be a great blog post, someone else may think that it's mediocre. That doesn't mean that it is mediocre as someone else could think that it is the best blog post they've read in awhile.

I'm no professional in this sort of thing at all, I'm purely going from my own experiences so what may work for me, may not work for you. The truth is, I could do the exact same type of post that had a great amount of traffic on, but then only get a quarter of views on it. I think I'm only just starting to realise you have to work really hard to get the amount of traffic you desire. 

By the way, a great amount of views and a hike in traffic isn't the be all and end all of blogging. Blogging should be about having fun with writing about your interests and hobbies, reading other blogs, learning something and applying it to your life - whether that's learning about a new product, a DIY post, a health post, an advice post, a school/university post, a career post... whatever it is, you get the idea!


                                                                                                                                                     

CONTENT IDEAS

However, in my opinion to create something that everyone will want to click on, it's a good idea to create content about a topic that will apply to a wide range of people but by still managing to keep your target audience priority. Here are some ideas:

  • A topic that is personal to you - Make sure you know why you're talking about it though. Are you wanting to change something? Discuss something? Get opinions on something? 
  • A post on blogging; blog tips, tricks, things you've learned through your experience of blogging
  • Bucket List
  • Interesting and helpful facts - an infographic is a good option!
  • A film/TV review
  • To-do list for going on holiday or moving house

                                                                                                                                                      


     CONTENT ACCURACY

The most important thing is to make sure you know what you're writing about. Whatever it is you choose to write about make sure you have a good amount of knowledge on the topic so you feel you can write about it with confidence. Not only that though, you want to make sure the content you're writing is correct and accurate - you don't want to mislead your readers in any way, shape or form. 


                                                                                                                                                           


IMAGES

I probably don't have to include this section because it is common knowledge how important good photography is for bloggers. When I first started my blog, my photography was awful and I'm still learning. I haven't got the most expensive or professional camera, when I first started I used my iPhone but then moved onto my camera which is a Samsung... but I don't think I could give you the exact name of it because I don't know it. Being a student in university, I can't really afford to go out and buy a top of the range camera so I do my best with what I have. Just make sure you learn the basics of photography, try and incorporate the rule of thirds, make sure the background isn't busy and ensure that it doesn't feel uncomfortable to look at - for example, make sure you don't cut a corner off what you're taking a picture of unless it's intentional - the image below is a prime example of intentional adjustment to make it a bit more fancy, if you like! Everything I've mentioned is basic stuff, I know, but very important!


increase blog traffic



                                                                                                                                                     

PROMOTION


It is also common knowledge that promoting your post is essential and a great way to drive traffic. Social media, social media, social media. It should be the first thing you go to when you've published your post. You can't assume people will just randomly go to your blog a couple of times a day to keep checking if you'd published a post. You need to tell them but without coming across to forceful. Twitter chats are a great way to network with other bloggers and spread the word about your blog. If you struggle to keep up with all the different chats that go on, check out this Twitter calender made by Elaine from XOMISSE! 



Have you got any tips on how you can boost your traffic?

Thanks for reading!

Get in touch! 


Twitter: @ChloesConcept

Email: ChloesConcept@gmail.com


Chloe x





No comments:

Post a Comment